Friday, November 23, 2007

Twenty-eight, Webcam

Yeah, I'm a consumer whore sometimes. Most noticeably on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I can't help the summons for cheap prices on usually expensive and elaborate items. So this morning I crawled from bed to Staples to get some stuff. Oddly enough, one of those purchases was another webcam. Yes, I typed "another" because I realize I've been purchasing webcams for many years now. To date I've obtained my own webcam, one for a friend in Alaska, one for a friend in Texas, another for the Texan friend's local family, this one I nabbed today, and I've still got my eyes out for another good deal for my uncle. As inconvenient as they can be, I really love the fact that I can visualize the person I'm talking to, whether by phone or PC microphone. I've talked to second cousins in India and England before. And of course I've chatted with my Alaskan friend and gotten the chance to see my Texan friend's new puppy. But I have to admit, the best use of the webcam has come from sending my video to my baby cousin up at my uncle's and hearing her squeals of laughter as I make funny faces at the camera. Today I setup the new camera at home and sent the feed up to my uncle's. This time my grandmother, grandfather, and dad also got to hear her crazy laughter at seeing all of us there as I made funny faces. Hence I feel that my investment in these devices is worth it. One person is able to talk to her significant other over a huge distance, another can talk to his family from far away, and the last can spend time with his cousin whom he loves and misses.

It's worth trolling the newspapers for ads and standing in line for a few hours if it brings you that much closer to the people you love.

No comments: