Monday, December 17, 2007

Fifty-five, Pain in Video Gaming

I'm a sucker when it comes to physical pain. Dish out all the mental pain you want and I can take it but try to pinch me and I'll squeal like a pig. So it comes as no great surprise that a video game that causes me physical anguish will not long be a favorite of mine. I know that unless I suffer through said physical anguish, I will not rise up in my experience level and so I will hold back others that I am playing with. But this is the sad truth.

The previous weekend of Rock Band has made my left wrist sore. And I don't particularly like having a sore wrist over a video game. I guess that means I'm just not a gamer? Ok, I guess my 2+ hours of Bioshock the other night means that I am still a gamer, just not a gamer who loves the music-playing games. I won't say I get no enjoyment out of them, but the enjoyment comes from playing and participating in something with my friends. Not from being able to beat a video game song on Hard difficulty while hurting myself.

I offered my roommate a deal: Every time Mario died during his game of Super Mario Galaxy, I would hit him in the head with a baseball bat. He turned me down. So at least I'm not the only one who has a limit when correlating physical discomfort and video game satisfaction (after all, it would provide extra incentive to keep Mario alive!). I'm ok having a different level to my discomfort/game relationship. Everyone is different.

To anyone who disagrees, Place it up thy butter churn!

No comments: