Saturday, January 19, 2008

Eighty-three, a Rat , an Airport, and Grandparents

I watched "Ratatouille" with my family today. My grandmother doesn't speak or understand English really at all. I wanted her to enjoy a movie and I feel that Pixar has movies that can accomplish that. But I realized that they too have a lot of dialogue at times so I would at times pause the action and explain stuff if it got hectic. I think she thought it was alright but wasn't really interested in it. My grandfather however watched it avidly! I thought that was interesting :) Granted I did hide the Gujarati newspaper (the Divya Bhaskar) when my dad came in with the mail today.

After dinner (I cooked potatoes and learned a couple things I did wrong last time!), "The Terminal" came on after Jeopardy! and I really liked it so I started talking about it to my grandparents while we were eating. Then after dinner, I kept up the explanations. I personally thought this movie would interest my grandmother more because Viktor Navorski doesn't speak English at the start of it and that's something she can relate to. I was surprised when my grandfather didn't go upstairs until 9:40 PM (normally he is in bed by 9:15). And my grandmother normally goes up as well but she stayed until the movie finished at 11! So I think they did like that one. I learned to follow the meaning of the movies without understanding the language from a young age when we'd watch Hindi films at home. It must be very frustrating to watch a movie where you understand none of the dialogue.

I'll have to see what I can do about the lack of stuff to keep the mind stimulated in the house for my grandparents.

No comments: