Sunday, March 16, 2008

One Hundred and Twenty-two, 2,222 Miles

Here I sit after having completed a trip that would have taken me from New York City all the way to Salt Lake City. Yeah, I would have a bit of a rush right now if I didn't have class to prepare for tomorrow. Previous to this my longest road trips usually spanned ~500 miles one way up to see my uncle and my baby cousin Valiben. And if I had to make it alone, I think I would have a tough time of it. But this time, I had one of the kids with me and we had a grand time driving down. She even curbed her sleeping time in the vehicle to about an hour. Considering that in previous trips she conks out for entire two or three hours trips, to go on only an hour of sleep during an 9 hours drive was impressive!

We are back in our respective towns now. It felt odd when I last saw her. I felt this surge of emotion over the new bond we've formed through this experience. At the end of it there was this...sadness that the great adventure is stopping. When I drove out of The Kids' town this morning, it was with a heavy heart. She knew she would be returning to her studies and that I would be taking on a new Block of material and that the gung-ho attitudes of Spring Break would fade away, but it was still hard to face it head-on.

And it was exactly what I needed. It was my largest adventure since two years ago when seven of us went up and crashed at my uncle's and visited his area. We got to see both the Beatnik and the Engineer on this trip and while it wasn't for as long as any of us would have liked, it was better than not going and staying home and vegetating while reading books or playing computer games. Sometimes I like it, and this might have been a good week for me to veg out, but I'm damn glad I went on this trip.

No comments: