Friday, October 17, 2008

One Hundred and Eighty, Surgery? Check!

I passed my Surgery clerkship.

Today at my oral exams, an interesting interaction occurred.  I was examined by two surgeons both of whom I've had some form of interaction with during my rotation.  At the start of the exam, one of them asked me in what field of medicine I was interested.  I'm not prone to lying for the sake of cozying up to someone so I stated the fact that I was undecided but was building an idea of what was important to me.  One of those realizations was that I did not feel I would be up to the lifestyle of a surgeon.  Hence I was thinking I'd end up in family medicine or pediatrics.  Then the examination continued.  I did fine in the exam and as I was shaking their hands in preparation to leave, the fellow who had asked me what I was interested in told me not to go into family medicine or pediatrics.  "It would be a waste."

No comments: