Tuesday, August 26, 2008

One Hundred and Sixty-nine, Start of a Queen's Reign

"Go on, get in there!"

As I stepped forward, a fleeting moment of nervousness and panic entered me and left as I strengthened my resolve. I was ready for this. I'd seen it done many times by now and felt comfortable with the process along with the doctors there. I held the little girl's head as it came at me. I moved the head and the shoulders downward until the top shoulder came free. Then, before I could blink, she popped out! I wasn't prepared for the speedy exit she made so I was holding her with both hands as she started crying (the practiced physicians develop a one-handed safe baby-holding technique). The resident put the clamps on the cord and Papa leaned in to cut it with the scissors. Finally I handed the little girl off to the pediatric crew ready to assess her health.

Later on I asked the resident, "Does it ever get old?"

"No."

No comments: